Saturday, March 23, 2013

Bookmarks: Original Book Club

Before you scroll down: any guesses as to where I've been for the past few days?

Sure enough, that's Kelly in the top photo, faithful pooch to the Chieftess and Chief, Kathy and Dan Watson. My pictures don't do justice to Mammoth, but the Chieftess' do. If you haven't met her, I suggest you visit her at Mammoth Lakes Daily Photo.

Mammoth Lakes is a gorgeous ski resort in the California Sierras, east of Yosemite and south of Mono Lake. Everywhere you turn there's another heart-filling vista. I defy you to beat this place for scenery.

It was also the scene of my first book club visit for Camelot & Vine. I spent a fantastic evening with the Mammoth Lakes Original Book Club. I heard about their lives, answered questions about the book, and jotted down feedback. It was one of those evenings that, when it was all over, my face hurt from smiling.

The next day, Kathy introduced me to the head librarian (gorgeous library) and the owner of the Booky Joint independent bookstore (which is charming, superbly stocked, and smells really good).

I'm posting two photos of the book club to make sure everyone gets to show their best side.

Kelly is no fool. She knew we were all there to see her and she made the best of it. Chieftess Kathy sits at left with Kelly, with (L-R) Edyth, Jodi, Peggy, JoAnne, Pat, me and Debby.

Here's Kelly with Carolyn, Edyth, Jodi, Peggy, JoAnne, Pat, me, and Debby.

I enjoyed meeting each of these women. Knowing Kathy, the fact that they're all interesting and smart is no surprise. Thank you, Mammoth Lakes Original Book Club! Your Original Book Club is original for me, too.

And thank you, Kathy and Dan Watson for sharing your comfy hearth with me.

24 comments:

Dina said...

I so glad you and your book could make all those nice women smile.
And Mammoth Lakes looks so beautiful.

Book Dragon said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time!

Sid Gally said...

When I was young enough to climb those beautiful moutains, Mammoth was east of Yosemite.

LOLfromPasa said...

What a nice surprise to see you and TheChieftess in the same photo. Brilliant! You are all having a super time. I can tell. It seems just amazing to see Kelly in a Petrea photograph. I am sure Boz won't mind :).

Petrea Burchard said...

Dina, Book Dragon, we really did have a good time.

Sid, thanks for pointing out my error. I meant to say Yosemite, not Yellowstone. But those Y parks...

Lauren, I think Boz would love Kelly. She's loving and sweet, and so is he.

Katie said...

How cool that you were able to spend a few days in beautiful Mammoth Lakes and hang out with this delightful group of women to discuss C&V! It must have been interesting as an author to get the chance to discuss your book with a group like this. What fun!

Adele said...

How great! Were you nervous? I would think it would be nerve-wracking for an author to meet a group of readers, face to face. Of course, I've read your book, so I know you had nothing to worry about!!

Desiree said...

A delight!

TheChieftess said...

It was a lot of fun!!! And I got several good reviews of C&V long before the meeting!!! Thank you Petrea for making my Book Club night so fun!!! You're welcome in Mammoth anytime!!!

Petrea Burchard said...

It was very interesting, Katie. They had great questions and comments, and I took notes.

I wasn't nervous, Adele. Excited, is more the word.

It was, Des.

Careful what you say, Chieftess, or I'll be there all the time. I loved it.

Bellis said...

I can see that the fresh Mammoth air suits Chieftess. The top photo is beautiful.

Petrea Burchard said...

The Chief and Chieftess are living in paradise, Bellis. It looks good on them!

Margaret said...

The world is rushing by me. How did I not know you were doing this?

Petrea Burchard said...

Margaret, you have been so busy! Time to put your feet up and have some ice cream. Maybe with a whiskey. (but I didn't announce it on the blog until now)

Ms M said...

Sounds like it was a wonderful time with a great group of people!

Gunn said...

CONGRATULATIONS, Petrea!

I will find out more about your book!:)

Shell Sherree said...

Kelly knows how to work the camera! And what a beautiful group TheChieftess gathered together for your visit, Petrea.

Petrea Burchard said...

It was, Ms. M.

Thanks, Gunn, how nice!

Shell, This was a camera-ready group. Mammoth is a ski resort, and it seems everyone there is healthy and beautiful.

Susan Campisi said...

How wonderful! I knew immediately the top photo was taken in "God's country," as Chieftess calls it. And rightly so. Congrats on your first book club visit.

Petrea Burchard said...

Thanks, Susan. I feel fortunate.

Virginia said...

I recognized Kelly and Mammoth Lakes! Lucky you getting to see Kathy and meet her friends. Lucky Book Club, getting to meet you and hear about your book.
V

Petrea Burchard said...

I sure did feel lucky, Virginia.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

Fun fun fun - I hope you stayed more then two days. Did you need chains?

Petrea Burchard said...

I was lucky, PA. Clear roads, sunny skies, and snow on the hillsides. I wouldn't have minded seeing a storm once I got there, but I'm glad I didn't have to drive in one.